Monday, February 23, 2009

Simply Oscar

Place: Fazoli's
Lunch: Tortellini Robusto, side of meatballs, Coke

Holy CRAP this is good. This may be the best thing Fazoli's has ever come up with...and that's saying something.

I don't get it. Why don't more people eat here?

I watched the Academy Awards last night for the first time since...probably since American Beauty was nominated, actually. Beautiful set. Lousy musical productions. Hugh Jackman did...okay as host. When they did the tribute to those who passed away in the last year, I wondered "Wait...When did HE die" probably a half dozen times. When Jerry Lewis came out, I wondered "Wait...He's still alive?" And whose idea was it to prop up Sophia Loren? And why was Tina Fey there? Has she ever been nominated for anything? Why do people even like Tina Fey?

I didn't see a single one of the movies nominated for Best Picture. Not a single one. "Slumdog Millionaire" was the big winner of the night. They threw so many Oscars at it, I'm surprised it didn't win "Best Animated Feature".

I didn't care for the way they had five actors/actresses come out and pay tribute to each nominee for Best/Supporting Actor/Actress. These are previous winners...supposed masters of their craft, and with the exception of Robert DeNiro, none of them were even remotely capable of acting natural while reading a teleprompter.

Same goes with most of the rest of the presenters.

So I was complaining a week or two ago about Simply Limeade disappearing from local store shelves. Now the shelf labels where it was stocked are disappearing too...at least for the large bottles. The individual ones are still around. But I found the large bottles to be in plentiful supply in Minnesota over the weekend, so it must just be the local distributor that's abandoning it.

I can deal with that.