Thursday, February 26, 2009

National Chili Day

Place: George the Chili King
Lunch: Chili cup, onion rings, Pepsi

George the Chili King is an old narrow shack with 14 stools, 2 tables, and a drive-in canopy. Total dive. Totally awesome dive. Excellent tenderloins.

It's National Chili Day. I know this because it was on the radio. You remember radio, right? Maybe not.

In an "earlier this week" coincidence, I was rolling my shopping cart down the candy aisle at Walmart looking for Andes mints. Remember when Chi-Chi's was awesome? It was in the eighties when they gave you Andes mints with the check. Then they quit. Now there's no more Chi-Chi's. The entire restaurant industry should learn from this.

Meanwhile back at Walmart, I'm wandering the candy aisle and I spot a chocolate bar from Lindt that I had not seen before. The flavor...Chili.

Are you nuts? Of COURSE I got one. And then the Easter candy is out so I had to get some Cadbury eggs and some Whoppers Robins Eggs and...you know what's dumb? I don't really eat all that much candy to begin with.

Meanwhile, I head home with my Andes mints, Cadbury eggs, Whoppers Robins Eggs, and my Lindt Chili bar. And Ravioli-O's. I got a few cans of those too.

So I get home and open the Lindt bar.

It's dark chocolate, but has a sweetness to it that...yes...may come from a red chili pepper.

And it's spicy! Not TOO spicy...it just has a nice kick to it.

That's totally neato.

I would make a Steak n Shake dinner run after work to close out National Chili Day properly, but the weather forecast includes freezing rain tonight and there's a new CSI on anyway.

But I have some Skyline in the pantry.

Chili 3-Way it is.