Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Are you LEAVING me?!?

Place: Taco Time
Lunch: (Well, dinner, but...) 2 crispy tacos (no tomato), crispy chicken burrito, Coke

Ten minutes to get my food. I know this because they have a computer monitor that tracks the time it takes to fulfill an order. Ten minutes. It had better be hot and fresh. (It is. It always is.)

So I'm sitting there eating my food and across the dining room I see a young couple talking. They both have their arms folded on the edge of the table and they are leaning over the table. They are talking quietly, but intensely. The girl, in particular has a lot to say. The guy occasionally retorts. But it's the girl's last words that are unmistakable...

Are you LEAVING me?!?

He is. He totally is. He stands up, makes some gesture with his finger like he's pulling a ring off, but I don't actually see a ring.

She's sitting there, mouth wide open. She gets up, takes the food tray, dumps it, and walks out. He walks out behind her, they get in separate cars and leave.

That was totally awesome.

The most awesome part about this is that it's only the second time in the history of the world I've seen a girl dumped in public...and the other time was ALSO at a fast food taco stand.

That was in 1986 at the Taco Bell in Albany, Oregon. They were teenagers. He said everything. She sat there and stewed. She showed tears. He left her sitting there alone. It was really mean.

Moral of this story...Ladies, if your boyfriend invites you to meet him for tacos...don't go.