Friday, November 26, 2010

Against the Wind

Place: Wienerschnitzel
Lunch: Angus chili dog, Pepsi

Vacation.  A week and a half of not thinking about anything.

Or TRYING to not think about anything, anyway.

I don't think I realized just how wound up I've gotten until Monday, when I started getting weirdly paranoid.  Then I started getting snippy at work on Wednesday.  It was an hour before time to hit the road, and seemingly everybody started firebombing me with stuff that just had to get done right now.  Couldn't have happened last week...right freaking now.  This describes my Tuesday as well.  I may have felt a little of what it's like to have a nervous breakdown.  I'm pretty sure I literally did break down in front of at least two people.  I realize now that I should have taken Monday-Wednesday of this week off too.

But finally, the time came (okay, slightly past the time came), and I hit the road.

What a road trip it was.

Omaha - This is where you say goodbye to Iowa and celebrate with a meal at Taco Bueno.  Or at least, I do.  Then you realize you have seven hours of driving to do through a state where the highway patrol acts like their slogan is 'We work hard to ruin as many people's holiday as humanly possible'.

York - Stopped for gas at Black Bart's.  The wind was howling and it was freezing.  I need to find my hat and gloves.  Also stopped at Runza for a milk shake and ended up with a mini Italian Runza.  That was tasty.  While waiting for my order, I saw a 'chili, cinnamon rolls, and a drink' combo special.  Chili and cinnamon rolls?

Somewhere between Kearney and North Platte - As usual, the Nebraska Highway Patrol were as thick as mosquitoes on a Minnesota summer night.  One cop finished with whoever he had pulled over, pulled into traffic, and pulled over the next car in front of him without ever even bothering to turn off his light bar.  This pattern only enhances the mosquito comparison.

Ogallala (Sapp Bros) - Slowest.  Gas pump.  Ever.

Cheyenne (night) - Stopped for the night.  Very stiff and sore.  Been like that a lot lately.  No wonder I'm so grumpy. 

Cheyenne (Thanksgiving morning) - Topped off the gas tank at Safeway and picked up some snacks...a bottle of Simply Limeade, Gatorade, and a couple of bananas.  Decided for no particular reason to not have breakfast.

Slightly west of Cheyenne - Oh great.  I-80 is closed.  I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie gets closed often when snow and heavy winds converge.  I didn't think to check the road reports before heading out.  Headed down I-25 to Fort Collins, as US 287 between Fort Collins and Laramie is the only viable alternate route.  I couldn't resist breakfast at the Fort Collins Waffle House.  I KNEW there was a reason I blew off breakfast earlier.

Fort Collins, Colorado - I used to spend a lot of time here years ago.  On the way to my detour route, I passed through downtown, where a marathon was starting up.  They'd closed the southbound lanes.  They may as well have closed the northbound lanes too because people were walking right up the middle of the street as if it were their own private Idaho.  Until they turned and saw me riding their tails.  Then they looked startled.  I literally parted the masses.  Cop working the event gave me a shrug like he was saying "Yeah, I don't know."

US 287 - US 287 is a beautiful scenic drive even on a bad day, and today the sun was up to the east, and the moon was still up to the west. Still windy, but not as bad as it was on I-80.

Laramie - I-80 re-opened in the time I took to get here, but I was still a good half hour ahead of where I would have been if I'd waited in Cheyenne.

West of Laramie - The wind today is absolutely howling, with 60mph gusts according to the highway reader boards.  Makes yesterday look like a breeze by comparison.  My poor four cylinder is working overtime and getting barely 16 mpg...easily the worst gas mileage I've ever gotten with this car.

Rawlins - Gassed up at the always windy TA Travel Center (formerly Rip Griffins).  On this day, I am freezing even WITH my hat and gloves.  I'm also REALLY tired, yet decided to press on because I figure my adrenaline level is up from the time I spent in the wind filling the tank.  Oh, and the receipt printer didn't print.  Lovely.

Rock Springs - I wonder if one of the Taco Times are open on Thanksgiving.  Nope, not that one.  What about Dewar Drive?  YES!!!  I embrace you, crispy burritos.

Between Rock Springs and roughly Fort Bridger - Cranked The Birthday Massacre's "Walking with Strangers" CD to 11...no, 19.  BA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA!  That part of the route just FLEW by.

Somewhere East of Evanston - It's been hard enough to keep the car going in a straight line with the heavy winds, but now there's snow and ice on the road.  Truck in front of me sent a muddy mixture of ice and snow at my windshield.  I hit the washers and nothing came out...they're frozen.  Wiper blades streaked the mud on to the point where I couldn't really see anymore.  I squinted through some cracks in the mud into Evanston.

Evanston - Pulled into Maverik (yes, that's how it's spelled), topped off the tank AGAIN, and cleaned the windshield.  The parking lot had measurable snow.  I was quickly reminded why I love all wheel drive.  Got a 32oz Pepsi too.  Smiling Counter Girl..."And how are you today?"  Me..."JEEPERS!  What a day!"  Smiling Counter Girl laughs and agrees.

Utah border - YAAAY! I can't believe I'm actually here!  Okay, I've still got an hour of driving, but...

Salt Lake City - The drive down was beautiful.  Roads were generally clear, but everything else was snow covered. The sun was starting to set, which on some turns was blinding, but I made it.  Not a lot of wind, either.  Gas mileage averaged up to the mid 20's.

Residence Inn - "Well, it appears both your reservations were canceled."  Okay, first off...BOTH reservations?  Why would I have multiple reservations?  Desk Clerk fixed this quickly and checked me in so she could go back to making out with her boyfriend, who was peering from around the corner.  That's one of the reasons I decided to wait until morning to see about getting the heat fixed in the room (it's cold...even by my standards).  Smiling Desk Clerk said "It's computer controlled and it might be faulty.  The guy (who apparently fixes such things) will be in later this morning.  I'll have him take a look and let you know what he says."

I didn't really believe her because I didn't give her my name OR my room number...but within the hour, I got a call that they found a faulty part (apparently not within the room because nobody stopped by).  Replacement couldn't be had until Monday.  Would I like another room?  Yes, please.  I went from a studio suite to a one-bedroom suite.  Apparently, the difference between a studio suite and a one-bedroom suite is they put a wall between the living and bedroom areas and add a second TV (the single TV in the studio suites rotates, so you can watch it from either area).  It's otherwise the exact same size.  It just feels smaller.  And warmer.  Ahhh.

And I'm still tired. I hardly slept at all last night.  Was laying in bed at like 3am watching "Law and Order" reruns.

But I suppose I can sleep all day if I want.