Monday, November 15, 2010

Food Court Follies

Place: Taco Bell (in a mall food court)
Lunch: Grilled chicken enchilada burrito, 1/2 lb combo burrito, nachos supreme (no tomato), Dr Pepper

The chicken enchilada burrito is an LTO that I remember from a couple of years back.  I saw the ad, I had one, I loved it, I went back, it was already gone.  I swear it couldn't have been on the menu more than a week.  Now it's back, and it's fine. Not as wonderful as I remember it for some reason...but good enough.

When I'm in the mall food court, I like to sit in front of Ocean Beach Fries and watch the nothingness that always happens there.  I've never seen a single customer eat there. The guy just stares into the oblivion of the food court dining area, watching the world go by with a glazed-over look on his face.

Until today.

Today, Oblivion Guy was with another guy I hadn't seen before.  They were going over about ten feet of register tape. 

Then some guy and (presumably) his son sat nearby.  They were eventually joined by a woman in a black beret and three additional children (one boy, two girls).  And from a distance, they stared at the Ocean Beach Fries menu.  Like they were being cautious or something.

Then she pulled out a thick envelope that appeared to be full of coupons.  A coupon envelope.  My grandmother would be proud.

(Ever get used by your grandmother to buy something with a coupon that she had multiples of but which were limited to "1 per customer"? Yeah, me too.)

They spent a significant amount of time reviewing the menu board.  Then they went to the counter.  The counter guy looked as if he were confused why somebody would be approaching him.

Then one of the kids started ordering.  Then the kid walked off.

Then Dad started ordering.  Then Mom and one of the girls went off to the bathroom.

When they returned, Dad was still talking to the guy.  A third employee came out from the back and got in on the conversation.  WHY DO THEY EVEN HAVE THREE EMPLOYEES?

Then they all wandered off and sat down.  Counter Guy went in back and stared at the order receipt, like he had no idea what to do with it.

Then the most amazing thing happened....Three girls walked up to the counter to order too!

Of course, now that people are actually eating there, this has totally ruined the experience for me.

Bummer.