Sunday, March 08, 2009

Trash

Place: Whataburger (there's one near YOU)
Lunch: the Peppercorn Ranch Whatachick'n sandwich (no tomato), onion rings, Dr Pepper

Among the ingredients on this sandwich are: Bacon, ranch sauce, pepperjack cheese, and a deep fried crispy chicken patty...and it's served on a wheat bun.

Between the standard lettuce and tomato, is the wheat bun supposed to somehow tip us toward the perception that this deep fried chicken and bacon sandwich is somehow healthy?

I just found that odd...

I was bored last night and decided to make an evening snack run at the Freddy's Frozen Custard (home of the original FREDDY steakburger) across the main drag and up the frontage road.

I walked out of the motel and noticed the condition of the motel's parking lot...all the good spots were taken. If I left, I'd definitely be sacrificing my choice parking space. So I decided to walk. It's a beautiful warm breezy evening, after all.

The walk involved a circle drive up to the main drag, a traffic light crosswalk to the Walmart parking lot, through the Walmart parking lot, up the rear drive behind the Walmart, and a walk down the frontage road. Amazingly, almost none of this walk has any sidewalks. You'd think a road called "Riverwalk Drive" would have sidewalks, wouldn't you? And the crosswalk light doesn't work. Nice.

None of this is a big deal, and the walk is made in 15 minutes time. What IS a big deal is all the crap in the grass along the walk.

Why do people just throw their trash anywhere?

Why?

There's cigarette butts. Cup lids. Straws. Candy wrappers. Bottles.

You probably don't notice all this when you drive by, but try walking sometime.

This is one of the most obvious examples of how selfish people are...that they can't even be bothered to toss stuff in a trash can. The Walmart had them in abundance in front of their store. Most businesses do. They're not that hard to find. I used one on my way back to discard my empty pop cup.

What is wrong with people?

Honestly...If people can't be bothered to even make this one little gesture, there's little hope for humanity.

It was a good thing I walked. When I got back to the motel, the entire lot was full, and a car was circling hoping somebody would leave.