Sunday, March 01, 2009

Better Bacon

Place: Schroeder's Drive-In
Lunch:
Double Decker, Super Deluxe (no tomato), Pepsi

WOW. I just got in before the church rush. Lucky me. They're churning out burgers from the charbroiler at a feverish pace.

I love Schroeder's.

I also love bacon.

Who doesn't love bacon?

I mean...it's bacon, right?

There's good bacon, and there's really bad cheap bacon. I tend to lean on Oscar Meyer or Farmland as the better. The bacon they serve at Waffle House (Bryan's) is about as perfect as it gets.

So last week, I'm passing through the break room and the paper is spread out on the table. I catch an article about Vande Rose Farms "Artisan Dry-Cured Bacon", how it's winning awards. Apparently, it's the most awesomest bacon in the history of bacon. It HAS to be if it has "Artisan" in the name. That's a law, right? Or just a marketing gimmick. Whatever.

The best part of the article was the picture of people eating this expensive premium bacon wrapped around...tater tots.

I bet they weren't even artisan dry-cured tater tots.

You'd think they could have at LEAST wrapped it around scallops.

It's also expensive...a 12 oz package via their website is 12 bucks. PLUS about DOUBLE that for shipping.

But the article says it's also available for a little over five bucks at "most Dahl's and many Fareway" stores.

I'll blow five bucks to try the
most awesomest bacon in the history of bacon.

So I go to Dahl's.

None.

So I go to a second Dahl's.

Nada.

So I go to a third Dahl's.

Nope.

Fareway?

Uh-uh.

Fourth Dahl's.

THERE it is!

Then I went to Aldi and got eggs, because the
most awesomest bacon in the history of bacon should be served with the cheapest eggs money can buy.

So Saturday morning (at like 4 because I couldn't sleep), I made breakfast. The most awesomest bacon in the history of bacon...and cheap Aldi eggs.

The bacon strips are THICK. I don't usually find thick bacon cooks real evenly, and it ends up being tough like beef jerky in the end. I avoid thick bacon.

But no such problems here. Not too crunchy. Not too chewy. Good flavor...not too salty.

This really is some awesome bacon. It may very well be the most awesomest bacon in the history of bacon.

Good eggs too.