Thursday, February 02, 2006

Doo-Hickey Dilemna

Place: Wendy's
Lunch: Classic Double with cheese, chili, Coke

Random Employee approaches my table and asks "Did you order what you wanted?" And I'm, like, "Huh? Of course I ordered what I wanted. What a stupid question." But before actually I say this out loud, I figure out she's probably meaning "Was your order served as you ordered it, or did we screw something up?" So I said "Yes".

Wendy's new interior is SNAZZY. Earthy tones and lots of wood. Some will find it BORING. Actually, it is sort of boring...

This Coke tastes funny.

I'm a needy person. On Tuesday at 8:30pm, I needed a PCI ethernet adaptor. For those technically challenged, this is what you would call a "doo-hickey".

I go online and check out Best Buy's inventory. They have a variety of doo-hickeys, and their feature that allows you to check stock at local stores indicates my local store has lots of these by at least three different manufacturers. So off I go.

I get to the store and look up and down the aisle where these should be. Nothing. Not even inventory/price tags.

I go to the kid manning the computer department. He's on the phone planning his after-work social agenda. I don't think he should be planning anything but bed. He looks really sleepy. He gets off the phone and asks me if he can help. I tell him what I need. He goes back to the aisle I was in, looks around, and runs to another guy.

(Another Guy): "We don't have anything like that."

(Me): "Your website says you do."

(Another guy): "Well, we don't."

Great.

It's now five to nine...too late to get to CompUSA...and I have no doo-hickey.

So my only hope is they stock such a thing at that mecca of hard to find internal computer components...Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart actually had one.

In fact, they had eight.

And it was cheaper than any of the ones listed on the Best Buy website.

I win.

WHEN IS QDOBA GOING TO OPEN?!? They've looked ready since the weekend. I called their number but nobody answered. That's sort of rude.