Friday, January 27, 2006

Starburst Shenanigans

Place: Long John Silver's
Lunch: Two chicken planks, one fish, clam chowder, Dr Pepper

If there was such a thing as Hot Dog Chowder, this is probably what it would taste like.

I was walking through the office when I noticed a collection of Starburst fruit chews in a cubicle, organized by flavor.

Cube Dweller wasn't around. I pointed this out to Neighboring Cube Dweller.

Neighboring Cube Dweller took a look, then suggested "We should move them around."

I didn't even hesitate.

I put a couple of orange ones in the yellow rows, a couple of yellow ones in the red rows, a couple staggered off the pattern completely. It was lovely.

A little while later, Neighboring Cube Dweller e-mails me.

"They are back in an organized pattern…"

I later heard Neighboring Cube Dweller fessing up to Cube Dweller about the switch. Cube Dweller apparently didn't know what to think when she saw them, and considered accusing Neighboring Cube Dweller of ruining her pattern, but "didn't want to come off as a crazy person". Alas, Cube Dweller's crazy status was only confirmed afterward.

(me) "I heard you fessing up. What REALLY would have been funny is if we could have figured out a way to change them while she was SITTING there."

(ncd) "Yeah, she started messing with them while I was talking to her and (I) couldn’t help it. What we need to do is get into the bag she has in her drawer of even quantity flavors and mess with that since she hand counted to make sure they were equal – like take her favorite Strawberry out…she has some issues…"

(me) "She HAND COUNTED THEM?!?"

(ncd) "Yep…hand counted. The ones on her desk were the odd numbers in each color that she was eating first. She could be a case study for someone I’m sure."

Neighboring Cube Dweller took the joke one step further today by swapping the Starbursts on the desk for the "Sour Starburst" equivalents, which are packaged identically.

Cube Dweller ate them and didn't notice the difference.

Which was probably the saddest possible outcome.