Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Suitcases and Burritos

PLACE: Pancheros
LUNCH: Pork burrito with black beans and hot sauce

It's a lovely day. Sunny and at least 70 degrees. Far too hot for November. It's supposed to be cold. I'm driving around with the sunroof open.

As I watch people wander into the restaurant at a rate of about one man for every six women, a large woman wearing an oversized yellow sweater and white pants enters. She is carrying a suitcase. A suitcase that is in a clear plastic bag.

She enters, moves to the left of the door, and stares at the menu board from afar.

It's not that big a menu board, really.

She eventually puts the suitcase down, and continues to read the not so big menu board.

The help doesn't seem to notice.

About the time I'm done with my burrito, a woman walks in and sees her. "Hiiiiiii!" they gleefully say in unison. Then the first woman presents the suitcase to the other woman, who cracks up laughing. "I didn't have time to wrap it," she says.

The suitcase takes up residence in a booth and the girls order lunch.

I move on to the shiny new Cold Stone Creamery next door for a cake batter ice cream with cookie dough mix-in.