Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Strawberry Post

Place: Hardee's
Lunch:
1/3 lb Thickburger (no lettuce, no tomato), Bacon Cheddar Fries, Coke

Hardee's posted on their Facebook yesterday that Bacon Cheddar Fries were returning.  I didn't believe my local Hardee's would have them yet because they're always a couple of weeks behind on product roll outs.

But they did.

So the other day I was at the grocery store and, much to my surprise, they had strawberry Gatorade.  Not "Fierce Strawberry Gatorade"...just the regular variety.  Which is only sold in 12oz bottles and is next to impossible to find unless you buy the big multi-flavor packs at Costco, and even then only 1/3 of the case is strawberry.

Of course, it's my favorite Gatorade flavor.  So I took advantage and bought a couple of cases.

Then I passed by a big container of strawberry Pop Tarts on sale.  So I grabbed some of those too.  Then some strawberry Kool-Aid, and strawberry Haagen-Dazs (the greatest strawberry ice cream in the history of the world, save for maybe Frusen Gladje, but that brand is long since gone).

The one thing I didn't buy?  Actual strawberries.

Seems silly upon reflection.  Why buy artificially flavored products when the real inspiration for the flavor is right there, in abundance, and far healthier?

We do it all the time, though.  Strawberry Quik.  Strawberry milkshakes.  Strawberry yogurt.  Strawberry-banana yogurt.  Strawberry Starburst.  Strawberry Jell-O.  Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerio's.  Welch's White Grape Strawberry juice (which hasn't been around in awhile).  Strawberried Peanut Butter M&M's.

(Yes, Strawberried Peanut Butter M&M's really existed once.  And they were awesome.)

I love real strawberries, but they only seem to be sold in gargantuan packages that I'll never get around to finishing before they start to grow mold.  Not practical.  Unless I want to make myself sick.  Not advisable.  And I can't remember ever buying a package of strawberries without finding some had already started going bad anyway.  Life was far easier when I could just pick them out of my grandmother's garden.

There's a couple of Chinese buffets that have strawberries out for consumption.  I take advantage there.  One of them has the nicest strawberries I've seen outside Oregon.

The better fro-yo joints usually have sliced strawberries available, and I almost always use them.  A couple of fro-yo joints have strawberries in strawberry juice (or syrup or whatever that is).  Use that too.

I keep that stuff at home as well to make little mini strawberry shortcakes.  Or occasionally for topping ice cream.

Fake or real, I do love my strawberries.