Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fake Wendy

Place: Wendy's
Lunch: The W (no tomato), chili, lime Fanta

The Wendy's down the street from the office now has a Coke Freestyle machine.  Weird since Wendy's is one of the last of the big fast food chains to offer self-serve drinks.  They've been pouring themselves from behind the counter prior to now, long after other chains offered you the ability to pour and refill your own cups.  I guess this is a chain-wide initiative, because they actually printed all the flavors on the cup.


(Trivia...Anybody know who pioneered self-serve drinks among the big chains?  Carl's Jr, apparently.  So there's one less thing you'll feel the need to Google today.  You're welcome.)

The whole 'fill your own drink' process completely screwed up my Wendy's order flow.  I walked off with the drink cup AND the tray before they brought the food out, so Smiling Counter Girl stood there holding my burger and chili in her hand when they were ready.  As opposed to using another tray.  Probably thinking she was making a point.  Which she was.  I hate her anyway.

This is my first time trying "The W", Wendy's answer to the Big Mac if you believe their commercials.  Way to be forty years late on that one.  I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but I don't think it's too bad.  Not great, but not bad.

Have you noticed that Wendy's is now using a cute young no-name redhead in their commercials?  They were actually using the real Wendy Thomas for the roll out of their mediocre "hot n' juicy" burgers, but now they have the youthful and cheerful Morgan Smith Goodwin pitching chicken sandwiches instead.  Wasn't sure how I felt about that, but then I saw another new commercial with Thomas in it, so I guess I'm just confused now.

Not the first time.  Won't be the last.

Anyway, Goodwin is young and adorable and skinny and everybody knows all girls on TV pitching food must be these things.  I don't personally believe that, and I think Thomas looks adorable in her own way anyway, but what do I know.

I suppose that applies to guys too with exceptions to celebrity.  You need look no further than Dave Thomas himself for that.  Or even the creepy Burger King character (who BK has discontinued in favor of food items targeted towards the elderly and pitched by...Jay Leno?  Seriously?)

I wonder if they'll do a commercial where Wendy and Morgan appear together eventually.  Maybe just a passing 'hello' in a restaurant, maybe where they have a big cat fight.

Cat fight would be awesome.