Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Barstow Taco

Place: Arby's
Lunch: Arby's 'Shroom & Swiss, potato cakes, Pepsi

I can't remember the last time I actually liked an Arby's LTO.  I like this one, though.

The NHL just announced that the Atlanta Thrashers have been sold to a group that's moving the team to Winnipeg.  They haven't announced a name yet, but they HAVE to go with the Jets, right? 

I still have a Jets jersey.  Never saw them play in the old Winnipeg Arena, but I did see them play at Colorado in their last season.  I did see a couple of concerts in the old Winnipeg Arena.  That was one odd building.

You can add Henderson, Nevada to the short list of cities I wouldn't mind living in.  A nice house in the hills overlooking the Las Vegas area.  A telescope on the deck that allows me to view the strip and aircraft taking off and landing at McCarran.  Easy access to all that is fun about Vegas from a safe distance. 

I based myself there over the Memorial Day weekend.  Played some pinball, ate at all the cool California fast food chains, wandered Fry's Electronics (where every answer from every employee is always "I don't know, that's not my department"), and spent all of two hours on the strip, which is a lovely walk on a Sunday morning.  The strip's newest property, The Cosmopolitan, is really nice.

Started a road trip to Barstow that sort of accidentally ended in Los Angeles, where I visited my brother and had dinner with @nyssa23 and @jammer427.  Checked out California's first Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, who are doing Wichita proud.  Checked out the Barstow Del Tacos, whose tacos are so much better than the national Del Tacos, one has to wonder just what the national Del Taco is thinking not moving to that taco meat recipe themselves. 

Barstow is the original home of Del Taco, and founder Ed Hackbarth and partners (family?) still franchise units there.  But their tacos differ from the national chain.  Their "Barstow Taco" meat has a different, milder seasoning blend, and the shells are fuller.  $1.29 gets you a nearly full shell of beef with lettuce and cheese falling over the top.  Eat a national Del Taco version afterward...in regular OR "classic" form....and you just might want to add Barstow to the list of cities YOU wouldn't mind living in.

Or take road trips to.

From Henderson.