Saturday, July 17, 2010

Old School

Place: Dog-n-Shake
Lunch: Chili dog, onion rings, chocolate shake

Dog-n-Shake is an old Wichita chain that's been around in one form for another since 1948.  Their specialty is a hot dog in a toasted bun.  Toasted and squished, really.  Good, though.  I toast and butter all my hot dog buns at home anymore.  The dog itself is perfectly decent, if unremarkable.  The shake's pretty good.  The "homemade" onion rings actually come off as if they really are.  The one time I tried making onion rings at home, they looked disastrous.  These look just like them.

Online reviews of Dog-n-Shake are pretty bad.  I think they're unfair.  It's decent cheap eats in an old-school fast food setting and the crew at the one I go to couldn't be nicer.  It makes me think of Pup-n-Taco, a California chain Taco Bell acquired and folded in years ago.  I will always be bitter that I never got to experience Pup-n-Taco.  More so than any abandoned chain.  Sure there's a couple of survivors in Albuquerque working under the name "Pop-n-Taco", but I'm sure it's not the same as Pup-n-Taco in its prime.

Saw "Inception" this morning.  Pretty decent.  A bit of a thinker, though.  And you're left wondering if you just witnessed a happy ending or not.

I may not be blogging much over the next ten weeks, as a major work project will be consuming my time.  But that's okay...it's making the summer fly by.

I'm more of an October person anyway.