Saturday, July 24, 2010

New Flavor

Place: Dog-n-Shake
Lunch: Chili dog, chili cheeseburger, Dr. Pepper

I'm having the strangest feeling of deja-vu.  Like I've been here before.  Recently.

At 5:30am, I woke up, never to get back to sleep.  I had NO reason to be up this early.  It just happened. Got bored quickly.  Decided to make a grocery run. 

So by 6, I was at the East Kellogg Walmart.  This is one of those Walmarts that makes you think of the "People of Walmart" web page.  (Actually, ALL Wichita Walmarts make you think of the "People of Walmart" web page.)  Grabbed some Simply Limeade.  Grabbed some Simply Apple.  Grabbed some Gatorade.  While wandering towards the front, I saw a Dorito's display with two new flavors..."Stadium Nacho" and "Tailgater BBQ".  According to the packaging, these are some sort of co-promotion with the next Madden football video game.  You KNOW you're big when Frito Lay will brand food around you.

I picked up the Stadium Nacho Doritos, because we humans simply cannot resist trying every new flavor Doritos can come up with.  Even when I never buy Doritos otherwise.  Doesn't matter.  Gotta try 'em. 

Closer to the checkstands, I saw a Dr. Pepper display in retro styling.  In celebration of their 125th birthday, Dr. Pepper is putting out a series of retro-looking cans holding Dr. Pepper made with "real sugar".  It doesn't specify WHICH sugar.  Could be cane sugar, could be beet sugar, could be invert sugar (which isn't a real sugar on its own...it's a syrup bastardized from real sugars.  It's apparently sweeter.  The baking industry worships the stuff for its stability and shelf life.)  Anyway, there's four or five different collectible cans.

At checkstand row, exactly one line was open.  It's checkstand 21, at the other end of the store.  This is stupid for at least two reasons.  First, the entry doors at that end of the store aren't open anyway.  Why would you post your only checker at the opposite end of the store from where anybody can enter or exit?  Second, it's a "10 items or less" lane.  What if I want to buy more than that?  (I'm sure they'd accommodate that, but it's still dumb.)

Naturally, every shopper in the store suddenly converged on this line the second they saw me heading in that direction.  The guy being checked out had NO clue how to use the credit/ATM pad.  The cashier was patiently trying to tell him how to use it.  It did not go well.

After I got back, I fell asleep until 10.  Oops.  I then toured the Kansas Aviation Museum, a story which I will save for later. 

How were the Doritos?  Sort of plain.  If you tried them blind and were asked to guess what flavor they were, you probably wouldn't have any idea what they were going for.

And the anniversary Dr. Pepper?  More tolerable than fructose Dr. Pepper, but not quite Dublin Dr. Pepper. 

Must be using invert sugar.

Then again, this hotel fridge doesn't get very cold, either.