Thursday, March 04, 2010

Cattle

Place: Iceberg Drive-Inn
Lunch: Iceburger (no tomato), onion rings (with fry sauce), birthday cake mini shake

The trouble with flying in an era where airlines treat humans like cattle is that you occasionally end up sitting with somebody practically on your lap who absolutely stinks.

Which was my experience this morning.

The guy spent most of the flight on his MacBook looking at pictures...until the thing crashed.  I thought Macs never crashed.  I keep hearing they're perfect in every way.  Every Mac zombie says so.

The other problem with flying is rental cars.  I'm really learning to hate Hertz.  I reserve a mid-sized (or their interpretation of a mid-size, which is a Corolla) and end up with an "economy class" Mazda 3 because the class I "reserved" wasn't immediately available.  Aren't the Mazda 3's and Corolla's the same class car in real life anyway?

Then there's all the syrupy upsale to the bigger vehicles (renting for only $60 a day more than I'm paying) and the ridiculously expensive "loss damage waiver".  Shut up.

It's weird driving the Mazda.  It makes me realize how much I love my car.  For one thing, my car has an Intelli-Key that just sits in my pocket.  Therefore, I keep forgetting to take the key out of the Mazda's ignition.  Second, they give you this keychain with two keys, a remote fob, and a big plastic Hertz #1 tag.  JEEPERS.  As if I didn't have enough crap in my pocket.  And the thing shimmies at highway speeds and the serpentine belt squeals when you go through a puddle.

Anyway, my birthday present to myself was a long weekend in Salt Lake.

I'll take the annoyances for the rewards.