Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Tonight

Place: Qdoba
Lunch: 3 crispy ground beef tacos, chicken Mexican gumbo, Dr Pepper

Everytime I come here, regardless of the time of day, the staff is sitting in the dining room eating. The WHOLE staff.

Jay Leno ended his run as host of the "Tonight Show" last week.

I didn't watch the last show.

I didn't care.

I grew up a night owl. As such, I grew up with Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. Carson was the man. He could make any guest funny without resorting to the scripted, badly acted "interaction" you see today. The man was brilliant. It didn't hurt that he was also pretty much the only thing on at that time of night back then. Remember only having five over-the-air channels...IF you were lucky?

I remember when the Tonight Show was 90 minutes. I remember countless jokes, guests, comedy segments, contract disputes with NBC, divorces...And I remember that final week. Guests David Letterman and Bette Midler in particular. Wow.

When Johnny passed the torch, it was a milestone.

I never liked Leno's Tonight Show. I like Leno as an individual when I see him in interviews discussing other topics (like cars), but the show and his comedy just didn't work for me. I watched Letterman for awhile, but eventually didn't care about any of them anymore.

Now there's...what...a half dozen late shows between the major networks alone? There's nothing special about any of them anymore. Yet there's still apparently not enough. Leno will be back in the fall filling five hours of NBC prime time so they don't have to produce as many expensive dramas or comedies. In recent years, they've proved to be lousy at that anyway.

I did watch Conan's "Tonight" debut last night, at least until Will Ferrell showed up.

Nice set. Nice use of the classic peacock on the intro.

Nothing special otherwise. It's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on a different set.

Ever notice that Conan, when wearing sunglasses, looks exactly like David Caruso's "Horatio Kane" character from CSI: Miami?

One more note...A quick thanks to Stacy from Tulsa, who took the time to read last week's blog and directed me to some chocolate yogurt.
Brown Cow whole-fat chocolate cream top yogurt was acquired over the weekend. So now I can say I've had chocolate yogurt. And probably won't again. But if you're looking for a premium whole-fat yogurt, check out Brown Cow. You actually have to STIR in the fruit from the bottom (yes, I picked up other flavors too) like the old days. There's a cream top on it too. I guess this is a tribute to how a layer of cream used to float on top of milk or something.

It's super creamy, and might even taste less sugary to you.

Even if it isn't.