Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Barefoot in the Park

Place: International House of Pancakes
Lunch: Sourdough bacon cheeseburger melt, onion rings, water

I used to date a girl who couldn't say the word "pancakes". It usually came out like "paddencakes". And it frustrated her to no end. Not to mention the Denny's waitress.

But I'm not having pancakes today.

Server Jenne (with an E) is a clicker. Whenever she is moving, she is clicking the release cap on her pen. Clicky clicky clicky clicky. You can tell exactly where she is in the building just by listening. There she goes...Clicky clicky clicky clicky...

I went for a walk on a breezy day earlier in the week. We have a paved walking trail behind my office...sorry...building which houses my little cubicle where I dwell with the other cubicle dwellers like cattle waiting to die...which routes around some soccer fields, connects with a neighborhood sidewalk, then connects back. It's a twenty minute circle, basically.

So I was walking and suddenly, I felt compelled to take my shoes off. To walk barefoot.

I have no idea where this impulse came from.

But I went with it.

I walked the rest of the trail barefoot. It's a completely different sensation walking barefoot on cement (and grass...I walked off the trail a bit).

It was simple, yet it was different.

It's amazing what one little change can make in one's life.

It's another breezy day today.

I should buy a kite.