Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Poor Planning

Place: Taco John's
Lunch: 3 hard shells, Potato Ole's, Pepsi

I walked out of the office and a big single drop of rain splatted on my sorry bald head.  I got out of the car at Taco John's and three drops of rain hit me.  By the time I finished ordering, there was a freaking monsoon going on outside.  Jeepers.

Who's bright idea was it to schedule National Cheeseburger Day on Taco Tuesday?  Jerk.  I hope you get fired.

Maybe I'll make a cheeseburger for dinner.  A cheeseburger and potato salad would be nice.  I have become so fond of the creamy dill and bacon potato salad at Slim Chickens that I sought out a recipe for such a beast online and made it over the weekend.  And it's fabulous.  But I still have a few bowls worth to eat before it spoils because it yielded at least a half dozen servings despite the fact I halved the recipe.

I did have a notable cheeseburger recently.  We got a Wahlburgers locally, and their "Our Burger" was surprisingly impressive.  The patty, "a proprietary blend of brisket, short rib, & chuck" according to the menu, was perfectly seasoned and had a texture more similar to steak than ground beef.  All of the flavors between the buns popped, especially the pickles.  To have a standout cheeseburger in a world saturated with cheeseburgers is really something, and this one totally did it for me.

Their "thick & crispy onion rings" were also impressive.  Their chili and lemonade, not so much.  Chili tastes very homemade, but just isn't a standout.  Lemonade was too tart for me.

I need to check out the O.F.D. burger next time.  It's a bacon mushroom Swiss.

Maybe I'll do that for dinner.

Nah.  Still have that potato salad to get through.