Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Sammiches

Place: Which Wich
Lunch: Italian Grinder (Mozzarella, Mayo, Marinara, Mushrooms, Onions, Pickles, Black Olives), Doritos, Pibb XTRA

It's National Sandwich Day, which I knew because of Subway's feel-good ad that ran a bajillion times Sunday during football.  Some sort of BOGO deal where people were giving away their extra subs.  I wonder who Jared Fogle would give his six-inch to?  Oh never mind.

Which Wich's Italian Grinder is my current Champion of Subs, and we just got a Which Wich locally this year.  So these are now in the regular lunch rotation.  (Well, I have to fudge an extra twenty minutes or so into the lunch hour to get here, but...)

We also got our first Firehouse Subs and Jersey Mike's this year.  We went from Sandwich Desert to Sandwich Heaven in the span of a few months.

So I found myself thinking about sandwiches, and thought I'd go over my favorites, in no particular order.

Which Wich Italian Grinder - Salami, Pepperoni, and Capicola, and whatever sauces, dressings, and veggies you desire.  They did an LTO version of this for awhile that added meatball slices and it's ALL ANYONE EVER ORDERED.  Why they got rid of that is anybody's guess.  It was an automatic $2 upsell.  They were PRINTING money.

Quizno's Mesquite Chicken with Bacon - The Quizno's Classic Italian was their best seller until they brought this out as an LTO.  It never left the menu.  They dip the chicken in some sort of mystery broth that gives it its flavor, add cheddar, bacon, ranch, and your choice of veggies.  I add pickles and Batch 83 sauce at the pepper bar.  Tasty.  Toasty.  Whatever.  Quizno's stores are becoming harder and harder to find, but there's still one just up the street from my office.

Jason's Deli Hot Pastrami Sandwich - They used to sell this as a Po-Boy melt with Russian dressing and it was perfect.  Now they make you choose a bread and spread, and the current menu doesn't mention Russian dressing, but I'm pretty sure they had it last time I ordered it that way.  Which admittedly was a couple years ago.  When your menu confuses me, I stop going.  That's the first reason I don't go to Palmer's.  (The second reason is everyone who works there is a rude arrogant prick.)

Subway Turkey Back When They Cut The Bread in a V-Wedge - Is it just me, or were Subway's sandwiches way better when they cut a V-wedge into the bread instead of slicing it in half?  No idea why, but I'm certain of it.

Steak n Shake Frisco Melt - I suppose it's technically a burger, but it's on buttered Frisco toast so I'm counting it.  Two hot juicy patties, thousand island dressing, multiple cheeses.  It's just wonderful.  There's a reason it's a signature favorite for them.  They have a grocery version of this available at supermarkets.  It's not even close.

Portillo's Italian Beef - Dipped in gravy with cheddar and no peppers, please.  SO good.

Jimmy Johns Gargantuan - The first thing it says on the menu board below Gargantuan is "All the meats".  So when the new guy started making mine and asked "What meats are on the gargantuan?" all the employees and I shouted in unison "ALL THE MEATS."  You know that "freaky fast" delivery claim they make?  They once delivered my sandwich EIGHT MINUTES after I ordered it.  Truly freaky fast.

tesg's Grilled Cheese Sandwich - My own grilled cheese sandwich consists of butter with a dash or two of garlic salt spread on bread and grilled with three slices of Tillamook sharp cheddar in between.  You can use a different brand natural sharp cheddar (making sure they're NATURAL sharp cheddar slices) if you can't find Tillamook.  I make a lot of these during Autumn, usually in the classic pairing with tomato soup or sometimes chili.

Firehouse Subs New York Steamer - What a gross name. What a delicious sandwich.  Corned beef brisket, pastrami, provolone, deli mustard, mayo, and Italian dressing.   I like to pair it with Firehouse Subs chili, but the chili is awfully pricey, making lunch a total north of $13 with a drink (I suggest Firehouse Subs cherry limeade), so I don't have a lot of these.  You just don't feel like you get $13 worth of food.

National Sandwich Day is in November, which means...it's already November.

How did that happen?