Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Cure

Place: HuHot Mongolian Grill
Lunch: A couple of plates full of chicken and mushrooms and the usual sauces and oils, Coke

Guy Standing Next To Me at the Grill Line observes my food cooking and says "Say!  You don't happen to like mushrooms, do you?"

Me: "No, I sure don't."

Hysterical laughter of the entire line ensues, because I have all the mushrooms.

You've probably noticed in your Facebook and Twitter feeds that loads of people are doing this "ice bucket challenge".  It's a fundraiser for the ADF Foundation, aka the group fighting "Lou Gehrig's Disease".

I'll tell you right now that, if you challenge me, the response will be "bugger off".  I don't believe in any of the organizations who are claiming to be researching a cure to whatever cause they support.  Because, as far as I know, not one of them has ever managed to cure a disease.

I can remember Jerry Lewis declaring "We're THIS CLOSE to a cure!" for Muscular Dystrophy when I was a kid.  Every year.  No we weren't.  And no we're not.  Even though the MDA raised $159,000,000 in 2012 alone.  Hasn't bought a cure.

Cancer?  No.  Diabetes?  No.  Alzheimer's?  Nope.  Frankly, we're not bright enough to cure the world of snoring.  Our best scientists probably couldn't exactly copycat Steak n Shake's chili recipe if you gave them some to analyze before trying.

We're supposed to be smart enough to take on a real disease?

Please.

Curing all this crap will involve taking a completely different approach than any of these organizations or any university is trying.  Do I know what that is?  No, and neither does anybody else.  But somebody should be thinking about it.

But I have a feeling it's coming.  In the next ten-twenty years.  A private, for-profit company will break the code, create the tools, and obliterate it all.

And if that company isn't Apple or Google, it will be one very similar to them.

I'm betting on Apple.