Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tremors

Place: Captain D's
Lunch: Deluxe Seafood Platter (w/fries and mac & cheese), Pibb XTRA

This particular Captain D's has a unique atmosphere Sunday mornings.  The place fills with well-dressed church-going folk, Southern-style gospel music plays on the sound system, and everyone from the staff to the customers are very pleasant.  It's a nice warm feeling.  Unlike the very weird feeling I experienced overnight.

I haven't been sleeping well lately, and was dozing in and out at best when it felt like somebody shook me to wake me up.  And I definitely should not have been feeling that since I was the only person who should have been in my hotel room.

I jumped and looked around.  Nobody.  Checked the door.  Locked.  Checked the windows, all of which I had open, but the screens were in place and I'm on the fourth floor anyway.

Weird.

Ultimately, I decided the only logical cause was that God had found something really cool on TV and decided I needed to see it, so he did it.  So I turned on the TV.

Whatever it was, I couldn't find it.  Most channels were showing infomercials.  I settled on a "Diners, Drive-In's & Dives" marathon.

About an hour later, when Guy Fieri was declaring whatever goofy thing he was eating "one of the top five things I've ever eaten" in whatever category said item falls in for like the third time tonight, IT HAPPENED AGAIN.  The bed shook.  Actually, everything shook.  The ceiling even creaked.

Then the light bulb in my head went on.  I'd just felt an earthquake tremor.  For the first time in my life.

(Well...second behind the one that woke me up.)

I checked the news this morning, and sure enough, a 4.3 earthquake happened near Crescent, Oklahoma.  The USGS confirmed it could be felt through much of eastern Kansas as far away as Kansas City.  There were several aftershocks.

No damage.  No big deal.  Just a new experience, I guess.

I've lived in earthquake-prone areas before, especially when I was younger, but I'd never actually felt one.

I managed to go back to sleep after understanding what was going on.

Peace of mind, I guess.