Friday, December 21, 2012

McRibble

Place: McDonald's
Lunch: McRibble, McDouble, McNuggets, McFries, McCoke

So I decided to have my annual McRib today.  Apparently, somewhere in the ordering process, I was asked if I wanted to add a second McRib for a dollar more.  Apparently, I agreed.  So I ended up with two.

Knowing I wouldn't actually eat two, I took off the top buns and folded the two together to form one double McRib.  I then shattered a champagne bottle against the bow and christened it the "McRibble".

I ate about half of it.  Ate about half of everything I ordered, actually.  Kind of surprised since it's my first hot meal since yesterday morning.

We had what's being called the "Blizzard of 2012" Wednesday night.  Indeed, it's been a long time since we've had one this big...years, maybe.  The snow arrived just in time for the evening commute and didn't let up until morning.  11.5 inches officially fell in my little bedroom community.  And while most communities pre-treated the streets in advance, the stupidheads in my town didn't see the need.  They also didn't see the need to sand.  They plowed and left it at that, leaving the streets and highways literally a sheet of ice.

So I tried to get to the office at noon yesterday.  I headed down my road, creeped on the highway, and headed east.  Made it about a mile before saying "This isn't happening" and turning around.  Blinding snow had me creeping on the way back at about 20 mph when suddenly, directly in front of me, I saw brake lights.  Dead-stopped break lights.  You know that scene in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" when Khan and Kirk are playing cat-and-mouse in the nebula and suddenly Reliant's brake lights show up in the view screen?  It was EXACTLY LIKE THAT.

So I hit the brakes, and of course, didn't even slow down.  Luckily, my right tire caught the ever-increasing snow drift, and I dipped to the right and stopped just in time.

So I backed out of the snow drift (which itself took some effort), moved to the left lane, and went around.  The woman in the car with the brake lights had also hit the drift just in time to keep from slamming into the rear of a big semi car hauler, which was caught dead in the drifting snow.  I couldn't even see the car hauler until I was going around it.  Not even stopped in the drift.

I crawled back home, nearly getting rear-ended once and side-swiped by somebody else.  Upon arriving, I discovered the power was out.

Yay.

The power remained out until somewhere around 5-ish this morning.  Thank goodness my iPad was fully charged.  I read a book in the evening, cats curled up against me for warmth, then we all crawled into bed around 9.  With the house temperature hovering around sub-60, even Maggie Cat went under the covers.

Anyway, woke up to power, just in time for the apocalypse.

I'm sure that's the way the Mayans saw it.