Friday, August 05, 2011

McDummies

Place: McDonald's
Lunch: Big Mac, Filet-o-Fish, fries, Hi-C Orange Lavaburst

The new McDonald's just up the street from the office opened today.  The sign in front said "Coming July".  That didn't happen, obviously.  They should pass a law that says new businesses that miss their advertised opening dates have to demolish their new building and start construction over. 

It's only fair.

I walk up to the door.  Frowning McEmployee is blocking the door.  "We can't take credit cards," he says.  "It's cash only."

"Well then, I guess I'll pay cash," I reply.

He stands there continuing to block the door, glaring at me.

"Can I go in now?" I ask.

He slowly moves away from the door, continuing to glare.  He doesn't offer to open it.

I go in.

Smiling Counter Girl, who is barely taller than the cash register but far more pleasant than the guy at the door, greets me.  I give her my order.  She gives me my total.  I give her a twenty.  She gives me eleven ones in change.

The dining room has got to be the most drab McDonald's dining room I've seen yet.  Brown, brown, beige, brown, brown, brown, beige...there's like a dozen shades of brown and beige.  Some of the chairs are silver, but it's all dull shades of brown and beige otherwise.  Do you know what I would give to find a McDonald's with the eighties "Jungle Concept" interior intact?

The Filet-o-Fish is fine.  The fries are fine.  The Big Mac is...missing a patty?  Really?  Oh, no...they just assembled it wrong.  Both patties are under the middle bun.

You'd think all the formally dressed managers observing the first-day operations would be working the dining room, asking customers about their experience, wouldn't you.  But they're not.  They're just standing around the order area taking up space.  They don't look remotely interested in anything going on.

Going home for a couple of days, making this the fourth weekend in a row I've spent time in the air.

Football season is coming up.  I'll settle down for awhile then.