Thursday, January 06, 2011

Viral

Place: Qdoba
Lunch: Chicken Mexican gumbo (with fiery habanero salsa), Coke (because the Dr. Pepper fountain was spewing nothing but soda water)

Usually when I come in here, the entire crew is sitting in the dining room eating together and they look really put out to have to deal with an actual customer.  Today, they actually left somebody working, and he actually appeared to be happy to have a customer.  This never ever happens here.  Ever.

I'm working through a pretty good head cold this week that kept me at home yesterday.  Had some Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup with a little cayenne pepper added in (spicy soups really help clear my head...at least for an hour or two), then slept the entire afternoon away.  Pretty deep sleep, I think, because I dreamed.  I don't dream much anymore that I remember.  I dreamed about Christmas shopping in a rather odd mall.  The other shoppers may have been zombies.  But like the living in the real world, they totally ignored me.

Still, I questioned the wisdom of coming in today.  Still pretty groggy, though the fever and sweats are gone.  But I did get a lot done this morning.

Part of what brought this on may have been overexertion last week.  Between hauling all that Dublin Dr Pepper and my new DVD shelf units upstairs (not to mention assembling said shelf units), I got a workout.  That tends to result in whatever virus may be lurking within me to go full...viral?  Sure, why not.

Totally worth it, though.  If you must buy self-assemble furniture, buy IKEA.  Their crap is SO much easier to put together (and ultimately SO much nicer) than any of the other self-assemble crap at the usual big box stores.  And they had the only units anywhere close to the size and dimension I was looking for.  Plus they let you customize your shelving to your specific needs by selling extra shelves for the units.

Pretty mild January thus far.  Mostly temps in the mid-20's.  Not nearly the snow we've received the past couple of years.  Today's the first cloudy day of the week, I think.

Still not bad.

After the past couple of snow-heavy years, we were due for the break.