Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Best Can

Place: Taco Time
Lunch: 2 crispy tacos (no tomato), crispy chicken burrito, Coke

Taco Time posted on their Facebook page the other day that today is National Cheese Day.  I have no idea if this is true or not, but it got me thinking of making cheese enchiladas for dinner tonight.  If I go through with it, that will be three nights in a row of cooking.

(By 'cooking', I mean 'actually taking out pots and pans and making something...not microwaving'...which has become the norm.)

Woke up to the phone at 4am.  It's moments like that when I hate my job.

Didn't get back to sleep.  Tried until about 5am.  Gave up.

Thought about a bowl of chili.

Did other things.

Thought about a bowl of chili.

Did even more other things.

Finally, at 7, I opened a can of chili.  Wolf mild chili with beans.

Wolf manufactures thousands of cans of this stuff.  Millions, probably.  In several varieties.  Mild, regular, and hot.  With beans or without.  I've had many.  Many.  Lots.  There was no reason to believe this can would be different than any other.

But this was the best can ever.

No idea why.

But it was a very special can.

Why is that?  Is it something unusual in the can?  Is it something about me?  Did my body chemistry align just right to make it the perfect moment to have that bowl of chili?

Ever go to a restaurant, have something happen that really annoyed you, and the meal was horrible as a direct result?  There was nothing different about the meal than any other time you went there...you'd just been so put off that the very food that had brought you comfort so many times before was suddenly your worst enemy?

This was kinda like that.  But opposite.  And without something that triggered total happiness.

I think my cats are confused with me staying home this weekend.  Maybe I should have gone somewhere.

But then I would have missed that magical can of chili.