Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th

Place: Qdoba
Lunch: Chicken Mexican Gumbo, Dr Pepper

"Paraskevidekatriaphobia: The fear of Friday the 13th. I personally think that there are better phobias out there, but that's just me." - @stephaniemabey, Twitter

Probably true, and I hardly ever even think about it when it happens to be Friday the 13th. But MAN has this felt like a Friday the 13th.

I came to work to a nearly empty Inbox and a new toy...a headset-microphone to use with our phone system. We have a PC interface. Neato.

So I get through my work, trying to finish everything before a phone deposition at 10:30. This isn't easy as people keep contacting me with more stuff to do that's totally an emergency. Worlds may fall if I don't drop everything RIGHT NOW. Lots of that today.

Anyway, the attorneys for the deposition call me early because they're running ahead (which NEVER happens). So we start early, and I'm on my new headset. In the middle of questioning, they ask me something, I answer, and there's silence.

Then somebody says "Are you still there?"

"Yes."

They ask the question again.

The microphone apparently didn't work when I answered.

Then it did this again later in the morning during another call.

Then I went online and searched for this headset (something I didn't do ahead of time...it was kind of an impulse purchase).

This is apparently a very common problem, and I should expect it to totally fail within the next week.

Nice.

And I'm pretty sure I threw out the packaging. And it's garbage day.

Oh well.

So between general mayhem and non-functioning equipment, I'm thinking I should just go home and hide for the rest of the day.