Wednesday, December 31, 2008

$5849.48

Place: Spangles
Lunch: Classic hamburger (no tomato), fries, Pepsi

$5849.48.

That's how much money I spent on gasoline in 2008.

How ridiculous is that.

$5849.48.

In 2007, I spent $2697.09 on gas, and I owned a car that required premium fuel then. Not so much this year.

$5849.48.

In May, I paid $3.92 per gallon for gas, a relative bargain compared to some areas which went above $4.

The oil companies, cartels, etc really had us going there for awhile, didn't they. They've been laughing all the way to the bank for the past few years, but especially so this year.

They're not laughing so much now.

Yesterday, I got a tank full of gas for $1.28 a gallon. And 9/10's. $1.28 and 9/10's. We never think about that stupid 9/10's, do we.

I told people we'd see sub-$2.00 gas again. Nobody believed me.

Pfffft.


2008 was quite a year. My wife died (the hippies might phrase that as "reduced her carbon footprint"), the economy fell into the toilet,
the stock market collapsed, several big retail chains said goodbye (Mervyn's, Value City, KB Toys, Linen's n Things, to name a few)...yeah.

Quite a year.

Here's to a quiet, uneventful 2009.

I've had enough "eventful" to last me a full decade.