Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Hour of Despair

Place: QuikTrip
Lunch: Chili dog, beef taquito, Pepsi

Wow. The things I had to go through to get here.

First, I stopped by the post office to check my PO Box. This has been a depressing thing to do as of late, because I have two packages that are WAY overdue, and nothing's ever in the box.

Much to my surprise, a package notice was in the box today.

So I get in line. It's one of those rare days where three counter people are actually working, and the line is moving at a relatively steady pace.

I give Counter Guy the slip. He heads to the back. I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Then he appears again and grabs another Counter Guy.

"I can't find this," he says.

Other Counter Guy disappears with him. I hear some mumbling about where to look.

Other Counter Guy mans his counter again.

And I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Counter Guy reappears. "I can't find anything for you."

"So they just put a slip in my box for no reason?"

Counter Guy disappears again without saying a word.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

I spy him on the other side of the building now.

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Dozens of people have come and gone in the line since.

FIFTEEN MINUTES after walking in, he appears with my package. Shockingly, it's one I've been waiting for since mid-April.

On the way home to drop off the package and e-mail the guy I bought it from to cancel the insurance claim he's filed on it with his postal service, I stopped by Git n' Go. My purchase totalled exactly $4.00. Redneck Counter Girl takes a $20, and hands me back $15.01 in change.

"No, that's not right. It should be $16.00 in change."

"Huh?"

"The total was $4.00, so you should have given me $16.00 in change."

She looks confused for a second, then realizes her error. "Oh DUH! Hang on, the drawer will pop open when I sell this guy's stuff. Unless you want this dollar that kid (before me) left."

Said dollar is mangled and has a big hole in it. I'll wait for This Guy.

This Guy is using a credit card. He slides it through the reader.

Wait for response.

Wait.

Wait.

Declined.

"It says it's invalid," says Redneck Counter Girl.

Guy has a look on his face that is concern, but not exactly surprise.

Redneck Counter Girl runs it through her reader on her keyboard, looks at the card, and says "This isn't yours, is it."

He kind of smiles as he shakes his head.

You know what's coming next, right?

You're wrong. The card is approved and the drawer pops open.

I get my dollar and leave.

I run home, drop off my package, and e-mail the seller. I head back to the office, hitting every red light along the way, including the right turn off the interstate exit that is a "NO TURN ON RED" intersection. It's "NO TURN ON RED" because our lovely Dept of Transportation just rebuilt every bridge over the interstate with built-in blind spots. it's inconceivable that this ridiculous design would be approved in this day and age, but they did it. Then instead of correcting their error, they stuck "NO TURN ON RED" signs up on them, which nobody paid attention to. Then they stuck bigger "NO TURN ON RED" signs up on them and posted cops near the intersections for the purpose of profit. They've probably paid off the bridges by now.

It's an hour and five minutes into my lunch hour, and I'm just now eating.

Should have stayed in bed.