Friday, September 29, 2006

Most. Wonderful. Time.

Place: Subway-in-a-Wal-Mart
Lunch: Six-inch toasted double-meat Pastrami on white with provalone, Chipotle Southwest sauce and pickles, Lays potato chips, Coke

Guy Behind Counter is gleefully whispering something about how they're not answering the phone because he's going to be in trouble with his wife to a customer he knows. When he realizes I'm looking at them, he explains the whole thing directly to me. "Dude! I spent $100 on slots and $100 on the lottery! When my wife realizes the money's missing, she's gonna flip! I'd better win something! HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Guy he was whipsering to: "HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Other Guy Behind Counter: "HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Girl Behind Counter rolls her eyes.

We're having an office potluck today. I swung through the Krispy Kreme drive-thru and got a dozen hot glazed doughnuts and a half dozen of my favorite "Glazed Kreme filled". I ate one of each and my face has been twitching all morning from the sugar rush. Ironically, I'm hoping the Coke will settle my nerves down.

Actually, the best thing I've found to soothe the nerves lately is hot cocoa. So one of the reasons I'm here is to pick up my favorite...Swiss Miss Marshmallow Lovers. I have some big Pfaltzgraff mugs (Mission Flower pattern if you're making wagers) that hold two servings of cocoa, and I make it so hot that the marshamallows melt into a creamy liquid that sits on top of the cocoa. Gives it a very nice flavor, it does. Of course, every variety of Swiss Miss cocoa is on sale...EXCEPT Marshmallow Lovers.

We're heading into my favorite time of the year. Cooler weather, fall colors, football and hockey, and Steak n Shake's Halloween milkshakes. I've already consumed three caramel apple milkshakes this season.

Here's to good cheer and smooth sailing to New Year's.