Monday, July 17, 2006

School No Way

Place: Taco Bueno
Lunch: Combination platter (Bueno Chilada, taco, rice, beans, chips), chicken taquitos, more tacos, water

It sounds like a lot of food, and it was. But it's not my fault. I didn't order the extra tacos. The girl who made the order must have misread "taquitos" as "tacos" (the taquitos come in pairs) and made two tacos. Then she realized her error and made taquitos. Then she just gave me the tacos because...well...they were made. And I just ordered the taquitos to try them. Really.

But as they say in the advertising...it's more bueno. So I ate everything. Yes I did. And the taquitos came with a cheese dipping sauce, which I mixed with hot sauce from the salsa bar and poured on the chips. That plus the guac and sour cream that came with the platter equaled some TASTY nachos.

We are roughly halfway into what's known as "summer vacation" for the school going folk. I hated school. Absolutely hated school. Particularly from the fourth grade forward. And to this day, I hate back to school sales. I CRINGE when I see them.

Sunday, I saw the first back to school sale of the year. Wal-Mart, running a campaign called "School Your Way", has rolled out the glue and crayons.

Kids have barely been supporting the local pools a month and a half and Wal-Mart is trying to usher them back to math books, bullies, and homework (because teachers aren't smart enough to teach kids in their own alloted time. They have to cut into their personal life as well.)

Does anybody at any school age even USE glue and crayons now? I'm pretty sure even kindergarteners have gotten so computer savvy, they can type better than high school typing students could 20 years ago.

Back to school sales should be outlawed until the last weekend before school starts.

Which in these parts is a week too early anyway.