Sunday, May 14, 2006

Shaken Movie Syndrome

Place: the old spaghetti factory
Lunch: Pot Pourri (spaghetti with portions of meat sauce, mushroom sauce, clam sauce, and mizithra cheese), strawberry lemonade

Server: "Have you been to The Old Spaghetti Factory before?"

Me: "Yes, but it was in Portland in the 1970's."

Server: "Well! Welcome back."

It was 1973, actually. I was seven years old. It was my best friend's birthday party dinner. I got him a gumball machine, if I remember correctly. Actually, I'm pretty sure he hated my guts all along, but who else could he hang out with? I once won his sister a live mouse in a bingo game at school. Really. She begged me to let her have it.

The Old Spaghetti Factory is a national chain now, and my return was long overdue. The "Pot Pourri" sampler is actually on the dinner menu, but the lunch menu isn't offered Saturday or Sunday so it's fair lunch game. I think I'll have to try the lasagna or the meat lover's treat next time.

I saw "United 93" today and I still have a headache. The film was shot with handheld cameras with extra shake. I was basically sick by the time the stupid movie was done, even though I shut my eyes through a significant part of the movie. I wanted to drag the director to Home Depot, stick his head in the paint shaker, and fire it up.

Too bad. The movie otherwise seemed pretty good.