Monday, October 17, 2005

Steak Dancing

PLACE: Maid-Rite
LUNCH: Maid-Rite with ketchup and mustard, baked beans, ice water

Work just didn't stop today. One thing after another. It finally occured to me I should have some lunch at close to 3pm. You, the reader, are thinking "What's the point? You're off in two hours and it's pizza night." You OBVIOUSLY don't think like my stomach does. And how do YOU know it's pizza night? You're creepy.

I do Maid-Rite about once a year. I get that craving, I go, I have one, I wonder why, I'm done for another year.

Across the road from the Maid-Rite is our brand new Texas Roadhouse. So new that it's opening for the first time in about an hour. There are many cars in the parking lot...far more than can possibly belong to the staff, right?

So I kind of peek out that way to see what's going on.

And there I see it.

A couple dozen Texas Roadhouse servers in black T-shirts and jeans.

Line dancing.

In the parking lot.

Line dancing.

Line dancing is one of the most disturbing visuals one can experience. It's a formation of middle-aged country music fans wearing perfectly pressed jeans doing simple dance moves in sequence to dorbos and whiny twangy guitars.

It's no less disturbing when done by twenty-something year-old food servers.

Line dancing.

(shudder)